The team from Cross, Fenandez and Riley, LLP (C/F/R) just got a lot bigger. National firm, BDO USA, LLP, announced today that they will merge with C/F/R to expand into Central Florida. BDO USA, LLP, (or just BDO as they are branded) is a U.S. professional services firm providing assurance, tax, financial advisory and consulting services to a wide range of publicly traded and privately held companies.
The local team at C/F/R’s Winter Haven location embrace this merger as it will expand the resources available to their clients. C/F/R came to Winter Haven in 2008 when they merged with Beckert, Price, & Rowse, P.A. (BPR & Company), which was founded in 1980 in Winter Haven. They a long history and fully intend to continue to be an active member of our community. The team at C/F/R have served in multiple volunteer roles at the Chamber of Commerce, including multiple Chairman of the Board, ambassadors, event chairs and more.
See the official press release below:
Chicago, IL – BDO USA, LLP, one of the nation’s leading professional service organizations, today announced an expansion into Central Florida through the addition of 95 professionals and staff from Cross, Fernandez & Riley, LLP (C/F/R). Founded in 1963, C/F/R is one of the largest firms in Central Florida with offices in Orlando, Tampa, Winter Haven and Lakeland. C/F/R professionals have a long history of providing accounting services to technology & life sciences, nonprofit, manufacturing & distribution, real estate & construction, hospitality, healthcare and other midsized clients. Combined with BDO’s existing presence in Miami and West Palm Beach, these new resources will bring BDO’s total staff in Florida to more than 200. C/F/R had previously served as BDO’s Orlando office from 1970 to 2000, and the practice has been a member of the firm’s BDO Alliance in the intervening years. The combination of BDO USA and C/F/R, which brings 9 partners to BDO, is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to be completed on August 1, 2015.
“I want to welcome – and in some cases welcome back – the partners and staff of Cross, Fernandez & Riley to BDO,” said Wayne Berson, CEO of BDO USA. “In 2000, BDO was transitioning some of its smaller offices in what were then considered non-core markets to its Alliance program. At that time, our Orlando practice, which would become C/F/R, was deemed to be a better fit for the Alliance program. In the intervening years, Central Florida has become one of the fastest growing markets in the country and C/F/R has expanded to become one of the leading practices in the I-4 corridor. With C/F/R, we aren’t just entering a new market, we are gaining a leading accounting practice with a great reputation throughout the region.”
“Over the past 15 years we have been very successful in growing our practice and expanding our footprint throughout Central Florida. In rejoining BDO, we intend to amplify that growth even further. As our clients have grown, they require the additional resources and services of a national firm. In joining BDO, clients will continue to receive the close attention they have come to expect, while gaining access to a wider array of services, extensive industry experience and the resources of BDO’s extensive global network,” said Jim Cross, managing partner of Cross, Fernandez & Riley. “As part of a national firm, our people will now have access to many more opportunities to pursue career growth. This will greatly enhance our ability to attract and retain the best and brightest talent in Central Florida.”
Melanie Fernandez and Jennifer Spooner, who each have more than 20 years of accounting experience, will lead BDO’s new Central Florida practice. Ms. Fernandez will serve as the assurance managing partner and Ms. Spooner will serve as the tax managing partner.
BDO will maintain all of the previous C/F/R office locations. See office contact information below:
BDO USA, LLP BDO USA, LLP
201 South Orange Ave, Ste 800 525 Pope Ave. NW
Orlando, FL 32801 Winter Haven, FL 33881
Tel: (407) 841-6930 Tel: (863) 299-5638
Fax: (407) 841-6347 Fax: (863) 299-8944
BDO USA, LLP BDO USA, LLP
Cypress Bay Corporate Center 124 S. Florida Avenue, Ste 200
5550 W. Executive Drive, Ste 200 Lakeland, FL 33801
Tampa Bay, FL 33609 Tel: (863) 937-9520
Tel: (813) 321-6869 Fax: (863) 299-8944
Fax: (813) 448-1886
Cross, Fernandez & Riley has been recognized by numerous business and industry publications for its workplace accomplishments. C/F/R has been named a “Best Company to Work For” by Florida Trend, a “Top Company for Working Families” by the Orlando Sentinel, a “Best Accounting Firm” by the Orlando Business Journal and, most recently, a “Best Place to Work for Millennials” by Best Companies and the Center for Generational Kinetics.
- BDO USA has more than 200 staff serving Florida businesses from offices in Lakeland, Miami, Orlando, Tampa Bay, West Palm Beach and Winter Haven.
- Over the past three years, BDO has expanded rapidly, entering 20 new cities and adding critical mass in 10 existing markets.
- BDO USA has industry practices specialized in serving businesses in the construction, energy, financial institutions, asset management, government contracting, healthcare, insurance, manufacturing, nonprofit, private equity, real estate, restaurant, retail and technology sectors.
- For two consecutive years (2013-2014), BDO USA has gained more SEC audit clients than any other accounting firm (source – Audit Analytics).
- BDO represents companies ranging from closely-held private businesses to leading non-profits to Fortune 500 multinationals.
- BDO has been named a Best Company by Working Mother Magazine for four consecutive years and been recognized with the When Work Works Award for Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility for six consecutive years.
- BDO has 63 offices and more than 400 independent alliance firm locations around the country.
- BDO USA has been serving clients for more than 100 years since its founding in 1910 (as Seidman & Seidman).
- As an independent member of BDO International Limited (the fifth largest global network of accounting firms), the firm can leverage the resources of more than 1,300 member firm offices in 152 countries around the world.